Thursday, August 14, 2008

Surprise!

I've always wanted a surprise party. Maybe this year it finally paid off because last year, I hinted broadly to Rohit that, "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to have someone throw you a surprise party?" Lo, and behold...there it was. Sunday night of my birthday weekend, I was supposed to have dinner at my parents' place. It would be a quiet evening, I surmised, grilling in the backyard and imbibing copious amounts of cocktails and wine. (This is how my family does it best).

Imagine my surprise (I guess that was the point, huh?) when I walked in to find 20 of my closest friends and family waiting for me in the kitchen. I think, for the first time in my life, I was speechless. I had no words. I hugged everyone, my mouth agape, not knowing how to react, really. It was all made better when my mother plunked a glass of cucumber-basil martini in my hand. Ahh, suddenly, the shock wore off.

A few months ago, I had told my mother and Rohit that they should get together and tackle this challenge: cook a meal using all the herbs in the backyard. This includes basil, lavender, chives, mint, and thyme. This was the cornerstone for the menu. Together, Rohit and my mom plotted and came up with an absolutely stellar menu that incorporated all these things, which were all unbelievable and tasted just like summer. The evening was just so spectacular. I wasn't allowed to help at all: no grilling, no putting things out, just sit, drink, eat and socialize. This was my kind of party. Rohit manned the grill with ease and style. The food...oh my, the food. Just unbelievable. When Rohit and my mom get together (and I said this at the party and someone made a dirty joke...gee, I wonder who, Punit?!) they really make magic. I'm so lucky. Sigh...below, check out the amazing menu they put together for me. All me. Let this be a hint to you: if you ever want a surprise party thrown for you, just say so :)

Pia's Surprise Birthday Menu
BEER
WINE
CHAMPAGNE
CUCUMBER - BASIL MARTINI

CHILLED GAZPACHO SOUP with diced guava & fresh dill

CROSTINIS: (1) melted fontina cheese, sauteed wild mushrooms with chives, white truffle oil drizzle (2) grilled baby eggplant, black olive puree, fried parsley

GRILLED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS with wilted spinach, goat cheese, rosemary - thyme dressing

WILD RICE SALAD

WHOLE BLACK SEA BASS stuffed with lemon and wild fennel

CHICKEN LEGS olive-brined with grilled onions and paprika oil

LAMB STEAKS marinated in mint and sherry

CARROT CAKE

RED VELVET CAKE

RUSTIC PEACH TART

RUSTIC CHERRY TART

BLUEBERRY PIE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home