Thursday, August 14, 2008

Restaurant Fever

There have been quite a number of culinary experiences, mainly or mostly in NYC, since I haven't vacationed since we returned from India and Dubai in December. But hey, who am I to complain? NYC restaurants are some of the best in the world, if not THE best. So, using my Filofax and my memory (which may fail me on this beautiful day when I just want to be outdoors), I will relay these culimemories as best as possible.

Gramercy Tavern: For Ro's bday, I took him to Gramercy Tavern, as this was a place he had wanted to try for a long time. I managed to get a reservation two months in advance (was it two months or one month, I can't remember) and we had a lovely time in our private ish booth. I hadn't realized that the menu was set- you could either have a three course a la carte meal or the Chef's Tasting menu. The 3- course sounded more interesting so we went with that one. I honestly can't recall a lot of the details of the meal, except that I had Smoked Lobster, which was very tasty, and Rohit had Venison, which he had never had before. It was a lovely evening-really no different than any Danny Meyer experience and we had a great time.

Megu: Overrated, overpriced, pretentious, snooty and the teeniest portions ever. The dumplings were good though.

Jojo: Bad seating arrangements but the wine and the food were very good, comforting and relaxing, especially for a restaurant week offering.

Park Avenue Winter: Really enjoyed the food, decor and the theme to this restaurant. Really fun concept. Can't wait to try Park Avenue Summer.

F.R.O.G: Incredibly cool concept. "Oh-kay" food.

Aquavit: Excellent food, unbelievable cured fishes and concoctions.

Calle Ocho: Best mojitos ever. And the free tapas Mondays make it all good. Food is good, but the free stuff is better!

Matilda: Too far away and not worth the walk. Skip it.

IronChef (x2): Always the best. You know it's the best when the little lady remembers you and your favorite things. And recommends some absolutely awesome sashimi dishes that aren't even on the menu. Fashion Roll, I love you.

Landmarc: We went here after I took my first Bikram yoga class. I devoured (and I mean devoured) half a share of mussels and one of the best burgers I've ever had.

Mermaid Inn (x2): As always, a pleasure. The seafood paella made with Israeli cous cous was surprise winner.

Nomad: Everything was good. Not great. Satisfactory. Bistilla though, was reminiscent of Morocco's.

Resto: The reviews said this was one of the best burgers in the city. I beg to differ. DB Bistro and Landmarc have them beat.

Swizz: Fondue. Yum. The Chicken Kiev was tasty as was the Weiner Schnitzel. My dad's patient owns this place and this time, I liked it more than the opening party.

Casa Mono: Everything was salty. Salty, salty. They tried to rush us out of the table, but we took our time. Overrated and did I mention salty?

Deshi Biryani: Awesome Hyderbadi biryani. My mom doubted the validity of a place that served Punjabi food at a place like this, but I suppose they need to cater to the "gorahs."

Dovetail: Really fantastic food, at a really fantastic value. We'd return happily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home